DIY Ideas to Sell in 2023
Are you looking to monetize your DIY skills and start selling your handmade creations in 2023?
The key to success in this field is to lean into your strengths and find ways to monetize the things you're already good at and the ways you already help people.
In this blog post, we'll share some ideas and trends that we think will hit big in 2023, as well as some solid ways to branch out if you need new ideas.
You can listen to the episode here, or keep reading below!
First, take some time to think about your strengths and what people ask you for help on.
What are you really good at?
What do your friends and family ask you to do for free?
Once you have a good understanding of your skills and interests, you can start to brainstorm ways to monetize them.
Also - one of the first things to consider is what tools and materials you have on hand.
If you have an electronic die cut machine like a Cricut or Silhouette, for example, you have a wide range of possibilities for creating custom designs on shirts, tumblers, keychains, and more.
If you prefer to work with paper, you might consider creating themed party decorations or custom invitations.
Or, if you're a woodworker or do laser engraving, there are endless possibilities for creating gifts and home decor items.
ALSO - we just want to clear up any doubts. You do not have to be in a "popular" niche to be successful.
We have successful sellers who have taken our course, Dream, Create, Sell, who are making hundreds to thousands of dollars each month in niches like fantasy gaming, non-traditional party celebrations, Christian printable artwork, and even coasters and stationary.
Here are some specific ideas to DIY for extra income in 2023:
If you have an electronic die cut machine:
- Custom t-shirts with heat transfer vinyl (HTV) are a popular option, and you can lean into a specific niche like t-shirts for moms or nature lovers.
- Custom tumblers and acrylic keychains with vinyl and trendy or themed quotes are also popular options.
- If you're not sure what niche to focus on, consider making customization your selling point - that way, you can create a wide range of products and appeal to a wide range of customers.
If you prefer to work with paper:
- Party decor is a great option, and you can create unique and customized banners, invitations, and greeting cards.
- Another popular option is stickers - you can cut them on a die cut machine, and all you need is a decent printer and the right sticker paper.
If you're a woodworker or do laser engraving:
- Consider creating gifts like couples' gifts, Christmas ornaments, and anniversary gifts.
- Jewelry cases are also a big seller in this category.
- Pet homes and pet furniture are another great option - think "barkitecture" and custom pet bowls or ID tags.
If you crochet, quilt, or embroider:
- Traditional textiles are big right now in home decor, and people are loving texture.
- You can lean into the farmhouse, rustic, traditional look or go the opposite direction with bright, unexpected color combinations to create modern decor.
- Some ideas for crochet and knitting include bucket hats, market tote bags, personalized baby blankets, coasters, and plushies.
If you're a graphic designer or make digital art:
- Invitations, announcements, and custom digital prints are all great options, but consider finding a niche like wedding invitations or custom digital portrait.
- Social media templates and digital planners are also popular.
Remember that not every idea we've shared will make sense for every niche or seller, and that's perfectly okay.
The important thing is to think about your strengths and find ways to monetize them in a way that feels authentic and authentic to you.
And don't forget to take advantage of market trends and keywords that are trending. With these tips and ideas in mind, you're sure to find success selling your handmade creations in 2023!
Ready to take the next step & learn more about how to be successful with handmade products on Etsy in 2023? Take our free masterclass!